How to read deleted WhatsApp messages
WhatsApp is one of the most widely used instant messaging services across the globe. Whether one is texting a friend or creating a group chat with members of your family, WhatsApp is generally the preferred app. It is because almost everyone uses it.
Due to its popularity, WhatsApp has been introducing several new features to the platform including multi-device support and more recently, disappearing messages. Quite some time back, WhatsApp added the ability to delete sent messages before the receiver read them. This can be useful if one made an error while typing the message or sent a message to the wrong contact. But this can also have the opposite effect on the receiver, making them more curious than usual in figuring out what was sent in the first place.
While WhatsApp doesn’t officially let one read deleted messages, there’s a workaround that we’re going to discuss today. We’re going to tell people how to read deleted WhatsApp messages on their phones.
One must keep in mind that this workaround only works on Android smartphones and will not work on iOS. We will be using a third-party app for this trick and the app will have notification access. This is not an official method and the app is in no way affiliated to WhatsApp. Notification access is also very wide and potentially intrusive permission to grant to an app. So one has to be very thorough about their needs before they go ahead and grant the app such access.
Given that WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, there’s no way to actually recover a deleted message. The workaround is to use an app that keeps track of one’s WhatsApp notifications. This is more like accessing their notification history to figure out the deleted message. It works almost flawlessly though and people have been using it for over a year now without any issues. It even works with WhatsApp Business and other messaging apps like Instagram and Telegram. Here’s how one can read and recover deleted messages on WhatsApp:
- One has to head to the Play Store and install WAMR on their phone. There are several apps that do the job but this is one that people have personally used for a while.
- Once installed, one needs to open the app and read and accept the disclaimer. Then they have to tap on the ‘Next’ arrow.
- Then they will be asked to select the apps they want to monitor. They have to select WhatsApp from the list along with any other messaging apps that they use if they want to.
- After that, they must read through and keep swiping right across the menus till they get to the Setup screen. Here, they have to tap on Enable next to Notification Reader.
- Then, they will now be redirected to their phone’s Settings app to grant notification access. They have to scroll down to find WAMR and tap on it.
- Now, they have to tap on the toggle next to Allow notification access and tap on Allow again.
- Once one has been granted access, they have to go back to the WAMR app and tap on the Next arrow.
That’s pretty much it. Now, one has a service that stores their WhatsApp notification history. If someone deleted a message they sent them, WAMR will notify them. Accordingly, they can read the message by tapping on the notification.
When someone sends them a message, WAMR stores the contents of the message from the notification that they get on their phone. That way, even if someone deletes a message, the contents of the message are already stored in WAMR via the notification and one can access it.