Players to replace Mitchell of Delhi Capitals in the IPL
The Delhi Capitals gathered together quality players for the IPL in 2022. The most important players they selected to play the match for them were David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Mustafizur Rahman, and Rovman Powell.
According to recent news, Mitchell Marsh who is the Australian all-rounder gained a hip flexor injury. This happened during the practice session ahead of the ODI series against Pakistan. People expect that he will be unavailable for the whole series. They doubt that he will be unavailable for the entire IPL 2022 edition.
In the year 2020, Marsh featured in only one match for Sunrisers. After that, he suffered an ankle injury. The same happened in 2022. If the team rules out Marsh for the entire season, they will have to search for an alternative overseas player. But there is a catch. This player has to be unsold in the 2022 mega auction or has to be one who was a quality performer in the T20 format.
5 players are shortlisted to replace Mitchell at DC. They are:
- Ben McDermott- Ben McDermott is a fine performer. He showed his skills in the Big Bash League for the last 2 years. He returned as Hobart Hurricanes’s top run-getter in the 2020/21 and 2021/22 editions, with 402 and 577 runs respectively.
In the IPL 2022 Auction, Ben McDermott went unsold with his base price of 50 Lakhs. His experience, track record, and current form in the T20s are expected to be favoring him for a spot in the Delhi Capitals team.
- Dasun Sanaka- This player can fill the boots of Marsh as an all-rounder. He has been playing T20 cricket since 2012 and marked his presence on the international circuit across all the formats in 2016. In the recent T20I series against India in February 2022, Dasun Shanaka emerged as the leading run-scorer of the touring party by mustering 124 runs in 3 innings.
None of the franchises showed interest in buying the services of Shanaka in the IPL over the years. But, the DC kept his performances in the Indian conditions at the back of their mind.
- Ben Cutting- Ben Cutting is an experienced campaigner in the T20 format and a popular player in their franchise leagues. He made his debut in the IPL in the 2014 edition for Rajasthan Royals. But he earned a name playing for the Sunrisers Hyderabad in 2016.
In the IPL 2022 auction, Cutting went unsold for his base price of 75 Lakhs like in 2018 & 2019. In the recent edition of PSL, he showed impressive ball-striking capabilities and garnered 197 runs in 9 innings. Looking at his form, DC might provide him with an opportunity in the cash-rich T20 league.
- Moises Henriques- This person is a skillful top-order batter and useful bowler. In the recently completed 2021/22 season, he gathered 440 runs in 16 innings and was also the leading run-scorer for the team. Henriques has been a part of the Indian Premier League since the 2nd edition.
His best performances came for Sunrisers Hyderabad from the 2015 to 2017 edition. In the IPL 2021, he featured in 5 matches for Punjab Kings and could gather a mere 31 runs. So, he was unsold with his base price of 1 Crore in the 2022 auction. But, the Delhi Capitals might give him a call owing to his leadership qualities and experience.
- Colin de Grandhomme- In the recently concluded Super Smash 2021/22, this player proved himself by finishing 240 runs in 10 innings. He emerged as the highest run-scorer for his team, Northern Districts. In the IPL, Colin has gathered 303 runs and taken 6 wickets. In 2017, he featured for the KKR team and played for RCB in the 2018 and 2019 editions.
However, he has been average with his performances in the T20I format for New Zealand. But, if given an opportunity, he can surely be a bankable player in the Delhi Capitals’ middle-order.
These are the list of players who have the ability to replace Marsh Mitchell. Hopefully, the Delhi Capitals choose one of them to play in the upcoming matches of the IPL 2022.