The UN General Assembly in 1972 established World Development Information Day on 24th October. It did so to draw the attention of the world to development problems. It also brought to attention the need to strengthen international cooperation to solve them.
History of World Development Information Day
The Assembly decided that the date for this day should coincide with United Nations Day, 24 October. This day was the date of the adoption, in 1970, of the International Development Strategy for the Second United Nations Development Decade. The Assembly knew that improving the dissemination of information and the mobilization of public opinion, particularly among young people, would lead to greater awareness of the problems of development. This would thus promote efforts in the sphere of international cooperation for development.
Significance of this day
The main aim of this day is to propagate information and mobilize public opinion. This is to be done in order to draw their attention and create awareness of the problems surrounding development, promoting efforts in the field of international cooperation for growth and development. A further aim of the event is to explain in detail to the general public various things. These things include: why it is necessary to strengthen international cooperation to find ways to solve these problems.
The assembly also decided that the day should coincide with United Nations Day to stress the central role of development in the UN’s work. In recent years, many events have interpreted the title of the day slightly differently. These have concentrated on the role that modern information technologies, such as the Internet and mobile telephones free from the digital divide, can play in finding solutions to problems of trade and development. They can also play a role in altering people.
Theme of World Development Information Day 2021
The theme for this day in 2021 is ‘Action for Sustainable Development Goal’. The theme for last year was ‘Information and Communications Technologies- New Solutions to Development Challenges.’
Some wishes and messages for this day
- “There is no stopping to growth and development. If we can help each other on this journey, then we can go really far. Wishing you a very Happy World Development Information Day.”
- “In order to exist, we need to change and in order to change, we need to develop. Wishing everyone a very Happy World Development Information Day.”
- “Every country deserves growth and development and every country must help the ones in need. Wishing a very Happy World Development Information Day.”
- “On this occasion of World Development Information Day, take a step towards social responsibility and make a global partnership for development. .”
- “Inform and inspire people to come together and create greater awareness to work to resolve developmental problems faced by the world. Best wishes on this World Development Information Day.”
- “Stand together to improve the dissemination of information and the mobilization of public opinion, particularly among the younger generation. Happy World Development Information Day.”
New solutions to Development challenges
The information and communications technologies have the potential to provide new solutions to development challenges. This is particularly in the context of globalization. It can foster economic growth, competitiveness, access to information and knowledge, poverty eradication, and social inclusion that will help to expedite the integration of all countries, into the global economy. This will happen especially in developing countries, in particular the least developed countries.