What is Aadhar card and mobile number linking?
When there was a notice that Aadhar cards will have to be linked to mobile numbers of individuals, there was an argument. The public said that linking mobile numbers with Aadhar would ensure that all the numbers in the country are verified. The main idea was to weed out illegally obtained numbers. However, the Aadhar card is no longer used for mobile number verification.
Steps to link Aadhar card with mobile number
Those who are telecom operators use just a few methods to complete the Aadhar and SIM linking. The methods include PTP (one-time password) verification, agent-assisted authentication, and IVR facility. Other than this, individuals can visit the mobile stores to register biometrics and complete the linking process.
Linking Aadhar with SIM for new users
Many users might want a new SIM. For this, they need to visit the nearest store of mobile operators like Airtel, Vodafone, etc. They will get a new SIM with Aadhar from there. Then they have to follow some steps to complete the process. First, they have to visit the mobile operator’s store and request a SIM. Then they have to provide a copy of the Aadhar card for ID proof and address proof. After that, they have to use the biometric scanner to scan fingerprints and verify Aadhar. The new SIM will be issued after the completion of the verification process. It will activate in approximately an hour.
Verifying number with Aadhar through OTP
People used this method to verify the number both online and offline. In both cases, the subscriber would receive an OTP on the registered mobile number.
The online method
- Visit the telecom operator’s website
- Enter the number you want to link and verify with Aadhar
- OTP will go to the registered mobile number
- Enter OTP and click on ‘Submit’
- There will appear a consent message on the screen. One has to enter the Aadhar number that he or she wants to link.
- The telecom operator would send a message for OTP generation
- Then the user will receive a message about e-KYC details. The user has to accept all the terms and conditions and enter the OTP.
- After completing this, a confirmation message will come in the mobile number registered.
The offline method
There are two offline methods to verify the mobile numbers with Aadhar. One is SMS verification and the other is verification through IVR.
Linking number to Aadhar card by visiting an Aadhar Enrolment Centre
The procedure is:
- One needs to visit the nearest Aadhar Kendra Seva with the Aadhar card
- Request for the application form to update the mobile number. There will be a charge of Rs. 50 to add or change the mobile number.
- One has to fill the application form and submit it and ensure that he or she enters the correct mobile number.
- He or she will receive a Unique Request Number (URN) once the request has been processed. They can check the status of the request by using the URN.
Documents to link number with Aadhar card
There are no documents needed to link the mobile numbers with Aadhar. However, one must carry the Aadhar card when he or she visits the Aadhar Seva Kendra.